Proposal: Solution to Improve DAO Governance Efficiency

1. Motivation:

I believe Osmosis DAO is very serious about the its Governance Process and involving community in making key decisions as evidently by the amount of work has go into this document (Gov | Osmosis Docs)

I’m a co-founder of Syncvote. I believe our tool can add tangible value to the implementation of Osmosis DAO’s governance process without any changes to the current setup. The goal is to let admins and members focus on making decisions instead of getting lost in tech stuff.

1. Problem Now:

I see 3 existing problems in implementing Osmosis DAO governance process:

1. The proposer must remember all the technical details of the governance process to avoid making mistakes.

2. The proposer has to bounce around different platforms, such as Discourse, Discord…, for each step of the process.

3. Any solution that could potentially consolidate everything into one platform for consistency and ease of navigation would require the DAO to abandon its current setup and adopt a new one.

4. How We Solve It:

Syncvote is a chrome extension that can provide a unified front-end for any DAO member that wants to make a proposal to Osmosis DAO. It acts like a central hub, no more bouncing between different platforms. Members can kick off and handle proposals, watch progress, and move through stages – all in one interface.

Why Syncvote will fit nicely into the current Osmosis DAO practice:

1. Non-invasive, there isn’t any new platform to familiarize with, just open the extension and click “start new proposal” to start.

2. The extension works with all the platforms DAO has been using, so you don’t need to make any changes to your current setup.

3. It’s free, our goal is to eventually put every DAO to operate completely on-chain, so until Osmosis DAO decides to write data on-chain; it won’t cost you anything.

My co-founder’s created this video to illustrate how the plugin works for a DAO: Syncvote Demo

1. Next Steps to Implement:

To implement this transformative solution for Osmosis DAO, we propose the following steps:

1. After the proposal has been passed, I will convert the Osmosis Governance Process into a format compatible with Syncvote. An administrator/coreteam member can help me to follow-up and also check its accuracy.
  2. After that, OsmosisDAO will start announcing to community members on forum, announcement channels on discord and twitter Osmosis that they can start using Syncvote extension to make new proposals from then on.

In conclusion, I see this as a straightforward implementation that helps to smooth governance experience for Osmosis DAO community members. I would be grateful if Osmosis DAO adopts Syncvote.

Thank you for reading my post. I would like to have your feedback on this topic.

Godwin.

3 Likes

Can we already test this on the Osmosis testnet or another testnet?

It sounds interesting (scrolled through the video, will do a more thorough look tomorrow), but making governance more accessible is always a good move.
Especially if this can be combined with an easy-to-use interface to work with community proposals where the deposit can also be done by multiple persons (instead of 1 person as we have currently in most cases) it would really be a game-changer for making governance more a community-effort.

4 Likes

Seen this syncvote proposal post being copypasta’d (literally word for word, swapping out the project names) across governance forums for several months now.

whilst the workflow looks useful, i would strongly discourage moving governance to a platform that requires proposers to download and install a (presumably closed source) google chrome extension.

3 Likes

hello @LeonoorsCryptoman ,

Syncvote does not require users to connect wallet to test, so we could test now.
To test for Osmosis, first we need to convert the Osmosis Governance Process into a format compatible with Syncvote. It does not take much time.

I’m happy that you find this interesting. I would love to hear more from you.
If you have suggestion, please let me know

2 Likes

hello @zilayo ,

Thank for your feedback. Since we solve a problem that’s quite familiar for DAO, some contents could be reused. However, before posting proposals, we have to research the DAO deeply, create that DAO’s own version in Syncvote, and make video to show people that demo. 3 steps there to make sure we have understand how DAO works, and how Syncvote could contribute.

Trích dẫn
whilst the workflow looks useful, i would strongly discourage moving governance to a platform that requires proposers to download and install a (presumably closed source) google chrome extension."

I agree with you about this matter.
I see here we have 2 concerns:

1. “Moving governance to a new platform”: actually, this extension plays like a hub. It connects other platforms that member uses. It is just like an add-on for users. They could still apply the old way to do governance, while others could use Syncvote for easy to manage.
  2. “to download and install a (presumably closed source) google chrome extension”: we put users’ privacy at first. This extension does not require connecting a wallet, so it is not related to the user’s wallet. Any actions related to connecting a wallet take place at a trusted third party: snapshot, tally, etc. The extension simply directs users to interact with that third-party service.

Thank again to say your concerns. Is there any other point that needs to clarify? Please let me know.

2 Likes

Seconded, I’d rather look into improving the linkage between Discourse and DAODAO (Which has Osmosis proposal loading already built in).

Syncvote looks to be aimed at Ethereum DAOs that use Tally; Cosmos chains act very differently and would be a whole extra tooling for Syncvote to build out on top of existing implementations. Which would have likely be raised in the proposal if research had actually been done.

4 Likes

I noticed this thread on other forums as well indeed as @zilayo rightfully mentions.

On dYdX I added a couple of questions:

Nice to see this being proposed on multiple chains. I also saw your post on the Osmosis forum.

Which made me wonder though, is this only requesting approval to connect dYdX DAO governance with Syncvote? No funding or grants involved?
What is the model for earnings for Syncvote? What are the prospects in terms of further development?

Can you share a bit more information on that?

2 Likes

Thank mate for feedback.

Syncvote works like a hub, connecting other tools/platforms so users could manage the process in one place. Having said that, if member uses more than 1 platform for 1 process or have to do some manual works, thats where Syncvote could help. Tally, Snapshot or Realm are just some of examples that Syncvote connects right now, but it is not limited to.

I’ve researched Omosis governance process: Gov | Osmosis Docs. I think it is the official one. That’s my mistake if I did not know about Dao Dao.
I have read through the proposal of DAO DAO. I will go more thorough to understand the current status.

Thank for letting me know.

2 Likes

These are really good questions. I answered it on dYdX forum.

2 Likes

Agree with @JohnnyWyles here.

1 Like

The answers on the dYdX forum were also a bit weird, where storage on Solana was promoted… which is kinda weird because we don’t need Solana for that kind of stuff since our ecosystem is perfectly fit to do it as well. The response also did not give me the feeling that they actually know what the Cosmos ecosystem is about…

3 Likes

Good information, I think it’s safe to say this proposal does not make sense for Osmosis atm.

3 Likes

Thank mate for the feedback

Solana is our current tool of us to store the data on-chain, since we could earn while DAO does not need to pay anything but gas fees.
If DAO does not like to store data on Solana, we’re also checking out how other chains do things to spice up our approach.

The main purpose of this proposal is to provide a solution for Omosis DAO, so creating proposals will be exactly as designed. The management of admin will be simplified. Tt is a hub to connect every platform that DAO is using, so it is not preventing anyone who wants to use the old way to do governance.
What do you guys think about it? I’m happy that Omosis has already thought about intergration between Discourse and DAODAO. I mean that we see in the same direction.

2 Likes

Also answered on the dydX forum. I get weird vibes from this thread, especially with the introduction of Solana (which is not relevant at all) and the feeling that there has not been much pre-work on learning and understanding Osmosis.

3 Likes

I have read Godwin’s proposal on implementing the Syncvote tool to enhance the governance process of Osmosis DAO, and I would like to express my positive response to this idea.

The concept of creating a unified interface for DAO participants to manage the decision-making process without switching between different platforms seems promising. The issues highlighted by Godwin, regarding the absence of a central location for technical details and the need to use multiple platforms, resonate with many DAO participants.

Syncvote offers a non-invasive solution that integrates with existing platforms, making it convenient and easy to use. It is important to note that this solution does not require changes to the current setup, which is an additional advantage for participants.

The demo video provided by Godwin sheds light on how the plugin works, adding credibility to his proposal. Additionally, the statement that Syncvote is free until Osmosis DAO decides to write data on-chain provides transparency and an incentive for adopting this solution.

Godwin’s proposal for the next steps in implementation, including converting the governance process into a format compatible with Syncvote and announcing to the community, seems logical and well-thought-out.

Overall, I believe that the proposal to implement Syncvote for Osmosis DAO is promising and has the potential to significantly improve the governance process. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of other community members and discuss further possibilities for developing this idea.

With gratitude for the presented proposal,
CRYPTO LADY

2 Likes

Thank mate for your opinion.

I really appreciate that you are supporting my proposal.
However, the way you re-state all the point in my proposal makes me quite confusing. I would love to hear more about your opinion.

2 Likes

It feels a bit like a ChatGPT response from @cryptolady hahaha

4 Likes

Lmfao I wasn’t the only one who picked up on that!

3 Likes