Halve OSMO Inflation

According to Mintscan, current OSMO inflation is at 9.83%

An inflation reduction was already implemented by a governance vote with success last year Mintscan

I believe OSMO inflation can be halved immediately to approximately 5% without extreme variations in staking dynamics. Despite last’s year double thirdening, the amount of OSMO staked grew from 275 million in June 2023 to 363 million today in August 2024. (https://analytics.smartstake.io/osmosis/stats#staking)

Building on that success, I suggest to continue by voting for a mint ReductionFactor of 0.5. Proportions going to dev wallets, liquidity providers, stakers and the community pool may stay the same with this proposal.

NOTE : This DOES change the max emissions that were set at genesis, from 1 Billion to 893m according to the Defi Scientist x.com
A new schedule would have to be implemented to maintain the original max supply, as explained in a previous prop Mintscan
I don’t see this change as necessary, as Osmosis needs to eventually be a fully autonomous money maker and it has been making great progress towards that goal.

6 Likes

Long timer lurker, first time poster, and a staker since genesis day.

Massive support for this proposal. With the recent move away from the focus on OSMO pairs I feel that it is no longer the farming token it used to be. Over the last year Osmosis has grown out of its subsidized high APR phase and has begun to generate real revenue. Using high inflation to pay for security is not necessary like it used to be in the before times.

I agree that the inflation schedule change is not needed and feel that less payout now in exchange for better tokenomics will make this proposal much easier to pass.

4 Likes

Opinions below are my own and do not speak for the Osmosis Foundation team

imo, this reduction is key to the success of Osmosis and OSMO, personally I’d be supportive of an even more drastic 1% inflation rate. But I agree that avoiding drastic changes to staking dynamics is something to take seriously.

Also, I dont think being set on this 1 billion number is super necessary, if it drops to 893, so be it.

Question is, how soon can these discussions come to a conclusion and get this moving sooner than months later?

1 Like

Thanks for putting up this prop Will.

I remember back in the days, during the inflation reduction discussion (Prop #534) there was one approach I very much resonated with. It included measures to even more drastically cut inflation, set a new max supply at 780M Osmos and hit max supply much faster than initially planned.

For whatever reason, arguments were made that we could not digress from the max supply set at genesis (1B OSMO). Therefore, detrimental decisions were made imo, to double the time between the Thirdening (Prop #484) events (from one year two two yers), basically inflating Osmo for twice as long just to hit the 1B supply cap eventually.

Now, that there might be made other adjustments to the Osmosis inflation, I would be in favor of not only cutting it in half, but also thinking about setting a new max supply cap, a reasonable number somewhere between 900M and 800M, and most importantly decrease the years until max supply will be reached.

I would argue that ~97% of the total supply, should be reached within the next 2-3 years, rather than by the year 2031.

Projects that launched more recently, all have a 4-5 year vesting schedule for all tokens to be fully unlocked and circulating. Giving that Osmosis has a clear head start, since the chain was launched in 2021, hitting max supply somewhere late 2026 early 2027 makes a lot of sense imo.

5 Likes

Rather than make a new thread I’m going to post my contribution here!
Will beat me to this, but I had been working on presenting something similar since I posted this Poll which backed up that sentiment did lean towards a reduction in inflation.

As with Aaron’s disclaimer, these are my own views on where Osmosis tokenomics should go and do not speak for the Osmosis Foundation.

Changes since last Review

Since the previous reviews in proposals 484, 485, and 486, many additional proposals have passed relating to tokenomics.

Proposal 530 and 549 added a Protocol fee to all trades on Osmosis, proceeds of which were split between stakers and the community pool.

Proposals 709 and 710 implemented additional revenue for the community pool and a burn mechanism for OSMO.

Version 25 of Osmosis also added a revenue stream from blockspace auctions.

Current comments on OSMO tokenomics center around noticeable inflation levels and inefficiencies in distribution allocations due to incentive redirection.

This post presents five main strategies for tackling these issues as well as having an overall analysis of inflation.

Proposal A/B - Cut and Stretch Inflation

Inflation Analysis

Proposal C - Inflation Cut

Proposal D - Inflation to Zero

Allocate Top of Block Auction as Validator Subsidy

Proposal E - Adaptive Inflation

Proposals A and B - Cut and Stretch Inflation

Similar to the mechanism employed in “OSMO 2.0”, these proposals suggest implementing a thirdening to make up for the one skipped this year due to the previous extension to a two-year thirdening period while maintaining the 1 billion max supply.

The two main paths would be:

1. Perform a thirdening and return to a yearly inflation cut of a lower adjustment of around -14.5% per year.
  2. Perform a thirdening and increase the time between the thirdening cuts to around 800 days.

Option A is likely the more resilient of the two since inflation is cut more frequently rather than waiting for over two years for another noticeable change in emissions.

Proposal A generally results in less inflation over the next few years while extending a lower but more consistent level of inflation for longer, while Proposal B moves to the end stage of tokenomics and total reliance on protocol revenue more quickly.

Both of these models would result in lower emissions overall, and a smaller quantity of OSMO would be sent to the community pool as a more significant proportion of the Liquidity Incentives emissions would be needed to maintain the current spend.

However, neither of these models addresses the core problem: inflation is a helpful distribution and bootstrapping model, but arbitrary inflation amounts based on a decreasing issuance are not suitable for all phases in a protocol’s lifetime.

Osmosis will become a very low-inflation chain after the next few years, regardless of any changes, requiring that the multiple facets of Protocol Revenue come together to sustain the validation, continued innovation, and development of new liquidity markets.

The thesis of Proposals A and B is that the changes in OSMO 2.0 left inflation still too high for the current stage of Osmosis tokenomics, and fine-tuning the schedule to approach the final sustainability stage more rapidly is required.

Inflation Analysis

This section examines what we achieve by using inflation for each emission location.

For reference, current inflation is minting 182k OSMO a day, resulting in an inflation of 9.83%.

Chart 1: Overview of OSMO equivalent flow from Inflation and Revenue

Staking Rewards

• 91k OSMO from inflation (50%)
  • Receives Transaction fees, averaged over 90 days is $680, ~1,600 OSMO
  • Receives all OSMO from Protocol Fees and 33% of non-OSMO, average over 90 days is ~$8500, ~21,500 OSMO

Staking Rewards incentivize stakers to provide OSMO to secure the chain. Currently, there is a Staking APR of around 10.8%, of which around 9.1% comes from inflation and 1.7% comes from revenue sources. 53.7% of all OSMO is currently staked.

Typically, this is referred to in two ways.

Headline APR

Headline APR is often used as an opportunity cost calculation for alternative capital uses. High APRs generate more interest when comparing across chains but, if derived entirely from inflation, will generate poor returns in absolute value.

Chains with well-established staking sets, such as Ethereum and Cardano, return around 3% for staking. More volatile sets, such as Solana and Avalanche, have a rate of around 7-8%. Any step change visible may be due to the limited data set.

High headline APR is initially attractive, but at a certain point, it also likely indicates a market risk to more seasoned staking security providers.

Chart 2: Inflation APR by Chain, Source: Staking Rewards

Inflation Adjusted Return

Return against inflation typically governs the amount staked within each chain. Proposal 485 also talked about this, which increased the net yield of staking rewards from negative to positive. Seeing the rapid increase of the percentage of OSMO staked move from 49% to around 56% before the net yield returned to around 2%

Increasing the net yield by allocating a more significant proportion of any emissions to Staking or making the protocol revenue return a higher proportion of rewards will likely increase the amount of OSMO staked by participants.

With the current percentage of OSMO staked being higher than the minting proportion to Staking, there is an inflation-adjusted return of 0.94%. There would be no adjustment if inflation were removed, so it would solely be the protocol revenue return, currently at 1.7%.

Validator Overheads

Staking rewards also pay for validation overheads at the typical 5% commission, which is around 4,500 OSMO a day. Any reduction to staking rewards could make validation unprofitable for smaller validators.

This lack of sustainability for validator operations could be tackled through a direct flat subsidy to the validators without relying on commission rate changes, which may cause a centralizing force as the larger validators could afford a lower commission and attract a greater share of delegations. If this flat subsidy is insufficient from a source such as the Top of Block auctions, then the validator set should be shrunk to compensate.

Recommendation: Lower OSMO Staking APR towards the 7-8% range as a first step towards eventually a target of 3% APR entirely from yield.

Recommendation: Provide Validator sustainability payment in order to ensure that Validators remain profitable.

Development Vesting

• 46k OSMO from inflation (25%), vested with a year cliff from issuance.

Used to fund ongoing chain development and have the most significant impact addition to circulating supply beyond the staking rewards. As this is vested, it encourages the developers to work to increase the value of their vested stake.

As issuance decreases, the quantities issued here are less impactful than the previous vesting development funds, which recipients may stake. As inflation lowers and revenue comes from non-inflationary sources, developers, stakers, and community pool grant recipients have a similar interest in the success of Osmosis.

Recommendation: Remove Dev Vesting Share of inflation and rely on Staker alignment and Community Pool grants (25% cut)

Liquidity Incentives

• 9k OSMO (5%) distributed of a 37k (20%) OSMO budget

The current spending rate only uses a portion of the allocation, with the remainder being transferred to the Community pool for later usage.

Just under half of these incentives (3,820) go to OSMO/STABLE pairings, mainly required to offset the opportunity cost vs staking and compensate for OSMO’s inflation. Reducing inflation overall will likely make this spending more effective at establishing deep Stable paired liquidity with OSMO as there is less Impermanent Loss to offset.

These redirected incentives have generated around 50 million of the 67 million OSMO community pool. It would take around 15 years to distribute fully at the current spend rate.

Recommendation: Remove the Liquidity Incentive share of inflation and establish a working group with a budget from the community pool. (20% cut to minted tokens)

Community Pool

• 9,000 OSMO (5%) from inflation, plus 27,000 OSMO (15%) per day from redirected liquidity incentives
  • Taker Fees, averaged over 90 days, ~$3,250 in non-OSMO
  • Top of Block Auction, averaged over 30 days, ~$590 in USDC, listed here as no use currently decided
  • Pool and Incentive gauge creation fees are minimal at 20 USDC per pool and 50 OSMO per gauge.

The community pool funds initiatives such as the Osmosis Support Lab and Osmosis Grants Program.

The community pool is vast due to receiving redirected incentives for the last two years. Still, it is primarily OSMO-based and unable to be directly spent without diluting the circulating supply. Additional OSMO from inflation has no use due to this.

Taker fees have increasingly been a source of non-OSMO revenue for the community pool, and efforts should be pursued to convert the OSMO in the pool to non-OSMO sustainably.

Recommendation: Remove the Community Pool share of inflation (5% cut)

Summary

In summary, cutting 50% of inflation instantly through changing the mint allocation ratios to become 100% to staking and performing a 50% inflation cut is possible right now.

Further to that, the inflationary staking rewards themselves should be cut by around half, resulting in an inflationary rate of around 2.5% and a Staking APR of around 6.9% at current staking levels, consisting of around 1.7% APR from revenue and around 4.2% return from inflation.

Proposal C - Inflation Cut

This proposal performs the inflation cuts above by:

• Set a thirdening duration of 365 to trigger a thirdening the epoch after this proposal.
  • Set the Reduction Factor to 0.25 to reduce all inflation by three quarters, from 9.83% to 2.46%
  • Set the mint allocation ratio to 100% for stakers and 0% for other destinations.
  • Perform a community pool spend of 800,000 OSMO to a multisig controlled by the Incentives Working Group to budget for Osmosis incentives for the next three months.
  • Unless further proposals are made to adjust the emission rate, this will reduce the maximum supply to around 743 million OSMO.

Chart: Overview of OSMO equivalent flow from Inflation and Revenue, implementing Proposal C with additional Top of Block Auction allocation

Proposal D - Inflation to Zero

Proposal D is an even more drastic step that posits that no inflation is required at this point in Osmosis tokenomics and that the move to a complete reliance on Protocol Revenue is now possible.

This proposal would

• Set a thirdening duration of 365 to trigger a thirdening the epoch after this proposal.
  • Set the Reduction Factor to 0 to end inflation, capping the Maximum supply of OSMO at the current supply. (678m at time of writing)
  • Perform a community pool spend of 800,000 OSMO to a multisig controlled by the Incentives Working Group to budget for Osmosis incentives for the next three months.

Staking rewards would fall to match protocol revenue, a lower headline return of ~1.7%; however, this would be a higher net yield as no new OSMO would be minted.

Chart: Comparison of Inflation rate over time with the above proposals

Proposal to Allocate Top of Block Auction as Validator Subsidy

The average Validator income from inflation is currently 30 OSMO per day.

This proposal asks for the Top of Block auction to be distributed evenly between all validators as a direct reward for securing the active set. This distribution would offset around 10 OSMO in removal. However, the Top of Block auction is still in the early phases of adoption, and yield may significantly increase as liquidity and volumes increase.

Funds already in the Top of Block Auction Module should be retained in the community pool.

Proposal E - Adaptive Inflation

Proposal E is a middle ground between the previous two proposals, which recognizes that inflation is likely too high but that lowering this far into single figures should be dependent on revenue generated by the chain, with inflation paying for a shortfall in yield compared to the requirement to attract staking security.

This proposal could be implemented after Proposal C as a next step to transition towards Zero Inflation and would require a software upgrade to implement.

This proposal asks that an additional step be inserted in the staking reward distribution process between the minting of tokens and the Staking Pool Allocation and distribution.

This step should be in the form of a module address that collects OSMO both as inflationary minting and as any revenue allocated for distribution to stakers, such as Transaction fees and Protocol fees.

The onward distribution of this OSMO should be controlled by a governance-adjustable parameter that can directly set the staking APR for stake bonded at each epoch to be distributed from this module wallet.

Example

Taking a daily minting of 45,000 OSMO, sources of protocol revenue yielding 25,000 OSMO per day on average and 350m OSMO staked.

Governance may specify a 7% APR for the staking rate, requiring an allocation of ~67,000 OSMO to stakers, leaving ~3,000 OSMO unissued.

This unissued OSMO forms the basis of a buffer that stabilizes the APR at a fixed rate as protocol revenue, the number of OSMO staked, and the parameter itself is modified, leading to a more predictable staking experience compared to the heavily fluctuating returns that are present at the moment.

If there is excessive OSMO in the module address, then this provides a runway for this level of APR for a period of time. As Protocol Revenue to stakers increases and makes a greater share of the total emissions, then this runway becomes infinite.

If staking increases or is static at the new 7% APR, then the APR parameter can also be directly lowered to further decrease inflationary emissions and increase the reliance on protocol revenue while being simple to revert through governance.

If there are not enough OSMO in the module address to reach the target APR then the APR underperforms the intended rate. This may result in Stakers unbonding, reducing the need for as many OSMO to obtain the target APR, but not increasing the inflation above the previously intended level.

Chart showing how spends are handled first as Stake fluctuates, target APR is lowered and protocol revenue increases

Final note:
This is aimed at solving the issue overall going forward, but rather than getting hung up on details, I’ll also support a flat 50% cut—which is kind of halfway between A/B and C but probably far, far simpler to agree on.

6 Likes

I generally agree with this direction, without these differences :

I prefer liquidity incentives to remain independent from the community pool, as I find the pool to have too much arbitrary power. A pre-defined amount coming from daily emissions allows for much less excesses.

I think quickly reaching a final total amount of OSMO is desirable, but I think it is too radical as of today. To re-evaluate once Osmosis has a much more popular wallet (metamask) and token (Bitcoin) offering.

I prefer when tokenomics can be easily understood by all. I think that generally speaking total supply numbers are better understood than inflation, APRs, APYs etc. As such, I prefer pre-determined amounts and a final supply target.

Can a couple of foundation people vouch for this ?

In Summary

As I already find the community pool to be excessively large :

1. I would agree to re-direct all inflationary rewards towards stakers, except the allocation going to LPs.
  2. I would agree to have a new revenue stream going to validators to compensate for current or future downwards revision of their business revenue. I’d look towards something sustainable and not the community pool (block auctions ?) as we can look to have a 0 inflation policy as a final target.
  3. I would agree to halve the current rate of emissions. But since point 1. is helping out stakers a lot, this could also be a reduction of 3/4 instead of 1/2.
1 Like

personal opinions below

• community pool funds & arbitrary power, less of this imo. Agree here

• agree on easier to understand tokenomics, but, adaptive inflation is a super interesting idea that i myself proposed… but i think very hard to pull off for a thousand reasons. Also, shifting inflation by a few percentage point, i dont think community and validators react super quickly to these things so it’s likely not as effective as it would be in a larger economy.

• dev portion is currently 25%, i don’t think it should go to zero, but i am supportive of reducing it from 25% to 20%

• I also support a 3/4th reduction instead of 1/2 here
1 Like

I think it might be helpful to whip up a spreadsheet that has all the comparables side by side. Currently a bit hard to visualize
cc @JohnnyWyles

1 Like

Thank you Johnny for your very comprehensive post. (Sad we didn’t have this kind of analysis on the cosmos hub inflation discussion, except Govmos nobody took the time to show up charts and graphs with different scenarios…)

I’m interesting in both Proposal A&B and proposal C

1 Like

Eventually, we will have to move to a community pool funded solution for this - most of the community pool is from the previously redirected incentives. I recognize that this might not be the time for it though as long as there is still inflation.

Fair point. Simple is perhaps best for the moment.

I know this isn’t the place to really get into it - but I was actually in favour of that reduction proposal. I think inflation is a crutch until real revenue can replace it, Cosmos Hub maybe jumped too soon since the main attraction was the inflation, and bearing that in mind is the main reason I think that going to Zero for Osmosis is likely too soon - and the reason why I wrote E as a middle solution.

Reduction percentages is fine, but it has to go somewhere. I’ve taken your comments to mean Dev to 20, C Pool to 0 (only from redirections) and LP getting a trim so less is redirected). Which means more going to Stakers

I’m going to come back with another compromise proposal of:

• Cut Inflation by either 66% or 50%
  • Only trim the Dev Vesting portion to 20% as suggested by Aaron.
  • Keep LP incentives from emissions as suggested by Will - we use 5% of the 20%, so if we’re trimming inflation by 66% this needs to be 15%., 10% if 50%.
  • Cut community pool to 0 from direct emissions - I think we can all agree it has enough OSMO, and it should still get some revenue from LP redirection anyway.
  • Creating a Staking distribution of 65% or 70% depending on how much we cut.

For comparison purposes:

Proposal Name Proposer Staking Share Dev Share LP Share C Pool Share Max Supply (Million) Inflation Staking APR From Inflation Staking APR Total Inflation Adjusted APR
Current Tokenomics N/A 50% 25% 20% 5% 1000 9.8% 9.2% 10.9% 0.9%
Halve OSMO Inflation WillBTC 50% 25% 20% 5% 893 4.9% 4.6% 6.3% 1.3%
Cut, Stretch, lower cut JW 50% 25% 20% 5% 1000 6.6% 6.1% 7.8% 1.2%
Cut, Stretch, lengthen time JW 50% 25% 20% 5% 1000 6.6% 6.1% 7.8% 1.2%
75% Inflation Cut & Rebalance JW 100% 0% 0% 0% 743 2.5% 4.6% 6.3% 3.7%
Zero Inflation JW 0% 0% 0% 0% 693 0.0% 0.0% 1.7% 1.7%
Adaptive Inflation JW 100% 0% 0% 0% 743 2.8% 5.3% 7.0% 4.0%
Maintain Vesting Aaron 60% 20% 20% 0% 743 2.5% 2.7% 4.4% 1.9%
Trim LP - 66% Cut JW 65% 20% 15% 0% 727% 3.2% 3.9% 5.6% 2.3%
Trim LP - 50% Cut JW 70% 20% 10% 0% 893 4.9% 6.4% 8.1% 3.0%

If this sounds about right, then the main decision is what kind of staking APR do we think is an acceptable reward rate to cut to?
66% feels like the heaviest cut (5.6% APR) that doesn’t take us into a similar risk scenario for inflation-adjusted returns as zero inflation while maintaining the dev and the emitted LP shares.

2 Likes

The last scenario seems the most reasonable for me. Cut inflation by half and redistribute the shares a little. With the foundation keeping 20% of the share, I think cutting inflation further would be too much of a big hit in one go on stakers.

As such I’m in favor of : ‘Trim LP - 50% Cut’

-Inflation is cut in half from 9.8% to 4.9%
-LPs get 10% instead of 20%. LPs receive the same amount of OSMO as they stop sharing the rewards with the community pool.
-Dev wallets get 20% instead of 25%
-Community pool gets no inflation rewards
-Staking share is then bumped to 70% from 50%

I could be convinced to go with the second last option which cuts inflation by 2/3 with a 65% staking share, but I’d like others to chip in and signal their support.

EDIT : Actually yes I’d go straight with 2/3 since the staking APR would go from 10.9% o 5.6%, equivalent to an halving.

2 Likes

Inflation tweaks aren’t “number go up” technology (see ATOM and Evmos), its about long term sustainability.

That said, Osmosis actually has users and generates revenue, that could be sent towards stakers.

Stop being scared and just turn inflation off. Then you can use the whole “real yield” narrative anyways.

Would vote yes on halving, turning the inflation to 1-2%, or turning it off altogether.

GLHF.

2 Likes

Honestly, with the amount of volume, daily users, etc. I’m seconding the “turn inflation off” sentiment.

Largest reason it didn’t work out well with Kujira was a dearth of users and volume, something Osmosis has in spades.

If any, is there any research into what turning inflation down to such a small amount (lets say 0 - 2%) would do to overall chain health? Would it cause validators to run at a loss like what was done in Kujira and have to live off of foundation subsidies?

Regardless I’m very much for this, lets get it done :handshake:t6:

1 Like

I increasingly feel that 0% might be feasible, but it’s a huge risk to take in one go.

Since it seems to have support, I think we should just go for the 66% reduction. If we see minimal negative impact on staking rates after a few months, we should revisit moving to a zero inflation model.

As far as I know, there’s very little actual research here since POS chains were relatively uncommon until a few years ago.

We’ve seen Cosmos Hub, not so much decrease the number of staked ATOM, but stop an increase in it while inflation still remained noticeably high:

Evmos reduced Inflation from 5% to 1% without much impact, but this has always been a bit unusual since such a low percentage of EVMOs are actually staked due to the unclaimed airdrop issues.

(also pretty sure that scale is wrong since staking APR is meant to be about 1.65% right now there!)
Osmosis itself didn’t really see a net change to staking rates at the last inflation cutting event beyond the changes to Superfluid at the same time.

If anyone else knows any chains that decreased inflation over 6 months ago that would be great data.
Sources for these are SmartStake

Here’s the updated OSMO sankey diagram based on the 66% cut, moving params to be:
65% Staker
20% Dev
15% LP
Would need a parallel proposal just to adjust the Incentive weightings too, but if this sounds like a plan I am happy to get these moving onchain :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same conclusion here. A revision can be made once we’re more certain of the chain’s sustainability and that unbondings won’t go bonkers. Onchain by tomorrow night ?

I was thinking Wednesday morning - lands the proposal onchain during more weekdays, gives a little more discussion time for such a big change, and finishes the parameter changes on a Monday in case anything happens to go wrong with them.

3 Likes

We have once explored this. I might still have the simulations even hahahaha
It failed miserable at that time though.

Quite an interesting move and contradictionairy to the post of @aaronxkong

All ears for this. If there is still so much redirected, then we must resort to cutting the inflation on that part all together. We can always check in and make the spending for incentives bigger again if needed in the future. But the CP is big enough, no need to further fill that one.

Does it matter how fast the max supply is hit? I mean, for Bitcoin the max supply is also not hit in the coming 2 years, but on a longer period (if ever). So my first question would be what the story behind it would be. I think that the story is more important than the actual fact.

Playing devils advocate; the past few years we have quite filled the dev wallets with inflation. How fat should those wallets become?
Furthermore; syou are also ok to go down to 1% inflation. With 20% to the dev fund that means 0.2% of the supply on yearly basis.

We could also go for 2% inflation and a 10% dev fund part; that still amounts to the same amount of 0.2%, but it allows a bit more room for stakers and validators. So the story is the same, but the % is brought down massively and redirected to end up at the same numbers where you are already comfortable with.

I personally think doing the parameter change in the first run is not a good move, since we know the discussion is sparked as soon as the first letter hits the chain.

I am happy to see that there are a couple of people contributing in this thread, but it is not a decision to be taken lightly. I have seen multiple comments on for example Twitter that the fiddling with parameters is also bad signalling to investors, since it is far from a stable situation they are offered for their investment.

So we must really try to make sure this adjustment to the parameters (if passed) it the last one for a loooong time, to be a stable project with stable prospects.
If I do the parallel with the “real world economy” there is in general a prospectus coming with the product which outlines the risks. Those risks never involve something like “the project delivering the product may influence your ROI when they decide to cut or increase inflation”. Any investor now has to deal with BOTH the fluctuation of the markets AND us fiddling with parameters. And we need to eliminate the 2nd one.

Bitcoin is a hit, because the emission schedule is very very very very predictable. Copy what works, don’t try to reinvent the wheel over and over. I am sure our inflation is not the main issue, but the story we tell, the stability we show to the outside and the ROI an investor gets.

I don’t think the duration of a parameter’s life matters much. What matters is that once it’s done we don’t go back. I prefer to compare OSMO to ETH as both are primarily a DeFi environment while BTC is a commodity money.

Ethereum, at multiple points in its history, has cut inflation coming out of each newly created block. What has mattered the most is that inflation has never been re-increased for security or sustainability purposes. The same has to be achieved here.

Osmosis might eventually have enough maturity to stop relying on token minting to keep a strong economic security and a diverse validator set, but it’s not there yet.

While reaching a max supply can be ‘hype’, it doesn’t lead to anything if the product/network is not there to support sustainable growth. KUJI was marketed that way, but their DEX struggled to break above $1m of volume a day and the admins (as in they controlled the closed-source contracts with a key) over-leveraged the ecosystem and today they lost their sovereignty to another chain.

1 Like

Hey guy, a big shout out to everyone contributing to the discussion, had an amazing time reading through all of this.

Here are a few points I wanted to address:

1. Inflation Cuts: A 66% cut sounds good to me. Directly setting inflation to zero is a bit rushed imo and might backfire, risk of massive unbondings and a decrease in economic security.

2. Liquidity Incentives: According to the old and new calculations, 8707 $OSMO are daily spent to incentivize LPs. This is a relative small number and could easily be backed by the CP. The idea of funding a working group with 800K OSMO to incentivize LPs for a period of 3 months resonates with me. Allocation a fixed portion to LP incentives might not be the right move at this stage, as orderbooks and limit orders are being rolled out, as discussed in yesterdays UFTL spaces, and we don’t really know what impact it will have on LP incentives. It the best case scenario, orderbooks and limit orders take off, and LP incentives are no longer needed in 5-10 months from now. Therefore, I think funding a working group on a quarterly basis is the way to go. This gives us more flexibility and we don’t have to mess around with emission distribution going forward.

3. Developer allocation: This is a tricky one and idk how reliant Osmosis devs are on these flows. I fully agree that devs should be aligned with the long term success of Osmosis and be rewarded for their hard work.
    To me it boils down to the same question as with LP incentives. The ultimate goal should be for both, to be fully funded by the chain or in other words the CP, if we aim at lowering inflation to zero one day. Hence, why can’t we do this rn?
    Similar to the Cosmos Hub, that fully funds it’s development via the CP, we could set aside 2M OSMO + some stables that are paid out to devs over a year + some potential bonus payments should they hit certain milestones. This is just and idea and might not work, just wanted to put it out there.
    I’ve heard ppl on X ranting over and over about the high emission distribution going to devs, lowering it from 25% to 20% might not really change that perception.

4. Max Inflation: Agree with @LeonoorsCryptoman we don’t have to hit max supply within the next two years, having 1-2% tail end inflation for the foreseeable future is fine. Personally, I guess, it’s way more important to set max supply at reasonable number like 750M OSMO, outlining a clear path how to get there. (Continues thirdenings until we hit that round number.)

1 Like