Thoughts on saildao

I wish to at this time share high context and hopefully meaningful thoughts on sail dao and the current space for incentivized cosmwasm contract development.

First of all, because a23 seemed to come from a member of the sail dao, I wish to voice that I think that dao membership should be reviewed. A23 is an ugly one.

Secondly, I would like to reflect on the fact that ultimately I believe that sail is developer incentivization. And I believe that that is necessary and I believe that we need more pathways for people to get started in Cosmos, not fewer. At Quicksilver, we have piloted a program where we pay 50 bucks per pull request no matter what. This has boosted community developer engagement significantly. I’d be really interested in seeing sail take a direction akin to what is described here.

I don’t want to just shut it down, because I don’t want to send the wrong message to developers.

I will echo concerns about @RoboMcGobo / stride conflict of interest – real or not the optics of it exist and are harmful.

I will also echo concerns about excessive liquidity provision to osmo/whale.

And I’ll echo concerns that there is a legitimate problem.

Maybe this becomes a new type of grant program, or not.

I’ll share something, often when starting an engagement, working out pricing is among the most time consuming items, because pricing is actually really difficult to figure out beforehand, before you’re actually building something.

We should have a better pipeline for this all across cosmos.

$50 per PR isn’t unreasonable. But it should cover the entire stack.

Anyhow, sail has produced a group of devs and code. I want that to continue to grow.

I am interested in seeing this pathway open up, and I would prefer that conversation here move towards promotion of developer adoption.

2 Likes